February 16, 2008

A gourd farm we passed on the way down. Wendell Heatwole preached Sunday morning on "Leaving a Godly Legacy".  Very good and challenging to think a bit on what our effect will be on coming generations.  Ruth Tasgal was back visiting the area for the weekend and we invited her to join us for dinner along with Andy Korvers.  We had a good time visiting and catching up around the kitchen table before they left around 3:00.  The children would not settle down so we weren't able to get much rest.  Patrick and Bethany stopped in for just a little to look at how we had done the baseboard in our house.  They are trying to decide how to do the trim in their new house.  In the evening we went to church for a song service.
Magnolia Mornings was our wonderful Bed and Breakfast for the weekend. Ina Sue started on the laundry Monday morning while I made breakfast then headed in to work.  Mary Korver dropped her youngest children off here to play with ours while she had a back appointment.  In the evening Ina Sue dropped the children off with Betty and came in and helped me with accounting and filing work at the shop.  I really appreciated her help.  It was good to finally get the year-end filing stuff caught up.  After we got done filing, I stayed to do more accounting while she went to Walmart then dropped by and picked up the children.  I got home about 12:30.
It was a beautiful pre-Civil War home. We slept in Tuesday until about 7:30 then rushed to have devotions before I left for work.  Ina Sue spent much of the day babysitting children and trying to do some caulking on the back porch.  Mary K. dropped Erica off with her while she substitute taught at school.  We had tacos for supper then I worked on some conference finances while she scrapbooked.
Our hosts, Patsy & Hubert Jordan. It was rainy and somewhat dreary on Wednesday.  Ina Sue got our day started well with a breakfast of egg gravy over toast.  One of my favorite breakfasts!  I spent most of the day on the road with service calls.  Ina Sue made Carolina Sue a jumper and repaired one of her own maternity dresses.  For supper she fried tenderloin along with hominy and zipper peas.  Delicious!  Later in the evening Wendell & Naomi stopped in for a  visit and brought along a wonderful dessert of upside-down pineapple cake.  Always nice to spend time with them.
A lovely verandah out back. Thursday was Valentine's Day.  We didn't really do much special because we are planning on celebrating with our little outing this weekend.  I spent the day at work.  Ina Sue dropped our children off with Mary while she went to Dr. Glen's for a baby appointment.  We are so happy that everything seems to be progressing normally with our expected baby.  After the appointment she did get in a little shopping in Bamberg and found me two shirts at Peebles that were heavily discounted.  I really like both of them.  For supper she made us stromboli, salad and strawberry shortcake for dessert.  I'm afraid I'm putting on some weight lately.  Can't imagine why.... :)  We spent most of the evening with the children.
The Jefferson County courthouse. I took off Friday to start our little get-away.  We had a leisurely morning with a breakfast of waffles and sausage before getting left for Hephzibah around 10:00.   Ina Sue wanted to stop at a thrift store or two so we did that and also stopped for lunch at Taco Bell.  Dad and Mom were finishing their trip from Uncle Mark's funeral and didn't get back to their home until about dinner time.  We stopped by there and visiting with them for a while before leaving the children with them and heading down toward Bartow, GA.  We made a very leisurely drive with several sightseeing stops.  While we were stopped at the Louisville Slave Market I noticed Jonathan Barnhart visiting with a man on the sidewalk.  We visited with him and his boy Rhett for a while before heading on down to Bartow.
The historic Slave Market in Louisville.

We had lined up a Bed and Breakfast that we found off of the internet for our stay.  We had decided that we did not want any agenda but just a restful stay.  We seemed to have chosen very wisely.  It was an elegant Southern home with columns and Spanish moss.  Our hosts were Hubert & Patsy Jordan.  They treated us royally and showed us a great time.  It was the perfect place for a relaxed getaway.  We got there about 3:30 and Hubert showed us to our room while Patsy prepared a tray of delectable hors-d'oeuvres for us.  We rested for several hours then drove down the road to a local seafood restaurant for supper.  Very good food and a definite local flavor.
Relaxing at Coleman Lake. Saturday was a wonderful restful and relaxing day.  Ms. Patsy made us a delicious breakfast of breakfast casserole, pancakes & bacon, and thickened fruit on a bed of pineapple,  all arrayed in a beautiful table setting.  We spent quite a bit of the day around the house with a little trip in the middle up to Louisville for some window shopping and sightseeing.   In the evening we drove about 20 miles to Coleman Lake for a very special supper.  They had a seafood buffet like nothing I had ever experienced.  It seemed like it was way out in the country away from anything but it was packed with people.  We enjoyed the fine dining then spent a little time outside by the lake before heading back to our cozy room at "Magnolia Mornings".